Through Academic Outcomes, I offer a range of editorial and proofreading support for various types of academic writing. Whether it is an undergraduate essay requiring proofreading or a scholarly monograph wanting extensive copy-editing, my services can be tailored to the specific needs of a client.
Among the services I offer are:
- Essay, dissertation and thesis planning (e.g. interpretation of the question, time management and research planning, advice on structure and organization)
- Light copy-editing to correct errors of spelling, punctuation, syntax and grammar
- Heavy copy-editing to improve phrasing, fluency, diction and structure
- Editing to ensure appropriate referencing, presentation of bibliography and use of academic language
- Reference- and fact-checking
- Formatting to ensure compliance with the style guide of publishers or university departments
- Proofreading (including of uncorrected and galley proofs)
- Long-term tutoring and mentoring in academic writing
I work according to the highest scholarly and editorial standards, complying with the client’s preferred style guide and requirements (e.g. British or American spelling, ‘-ise’ or ‘-ize’ endings). Where a client has no preferred style guide, I will recommend adhering to the Chicago Manual of Style or New Hart’s Rules. I can edit online using Word’s Track Changes, or on hard copy. For longer projects I supply the client with a style sheet outlining editorial choices.
I provide personal, bespoke support. Unlike the service provided by most editorial agencies, my editorial work will be backed up with one-to-one email/telephone contact.
If you are interested in any of the above services, please contact me for an initial FREE consultation entailing no commitment on your part. Based on your requirements and, if possible, a sample of your writing/research, I will assess your project and provide you with a detailed quote. Since it is impossible to price a project without first assessing a client’s requirements, I do not publish my rates here. As a rough guide, however, a client can expect to pay in the range of £15-£25 per hour depending on the nature of the project.
UCAS personal statement service
Having worked for several years as an Undergraduate Admissions Tutor, I read, reviewed and evaluated hundreds of personal statements from UCAS applicants. I have also advised sixth-formers on the UCAS application process, particularly on what Admissions Tutors look for in personal statements.
I provide a UCAS personal statement service, helping university applicants to plan, draft, write and edit their personal statements. I can also offer more general advice on the application process.
In the 2016-17 UCAS cycle I have helped applicants who went on to be offered places at Oxford and Cambridge.
Please note: I do not offer an essay-writing service. The services outlined above are designed to help clients improve their academic writing and to produce work of high quality that fully complies with rules relating to plagiarism and acceptable academic conduct.
Please also note that I am not always suitable for a proposed project. I will always promptly inform a client in such cases and will do my best to advise on other options.